Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Review: Marked

Marked (House of Night #1) by P.C. Cast, Kristin Cast

Published January 15th 2009 by ATOM (first published May 1st 2007)  
Paperback, 348 pages
Source: Borrowed from a friend



"After a Vampire Tracker Marks her with a crescent moon on her forehead, 16-year-old Zoey Redbird enters the House of Night and learns that she is no average fledgling. She has been Marked as special by the vampyre Goddess Nyx and has affinities for all five elements: Air, Fire Water, Earth and Spirit. But she is not the only fledgling at the House of Night with special powers. When she discovers that the leader of the Dark Daughters, the school’s most elite club, is mis-using her Goddess-given gifts, Zoey must look deep within herself for the courage to embrace her destiny – with a little help from her new vampyre friends (or Nerd Herd, as Aphrodite calls them)."

- From Goodreads

 



6/10





*Please note there might be some adult content discussed in this review:

I was really surprised at the new and unique take on vampires in this novel. Zoey is a fun character and easily relate-able. I really felt for her and her family situation, but I must say after the action packed beginning things got a little bit slow towards the end.

Some of the happenings (attempt at a blow job) and vocabulary "boobie" or "poopie" (even my spellchecker wanted to fix these words!) just made me cringe.

But nevertheless it was a fun and entertaining read with several twists and turns. Zoey's friends were a great bunch of different yet interesting characters that I want to know more about!

I had a few gripes tho, for the life of me I can't imagine the characters with symbols on their foreheads. Every image I conjure up just looks silly! I might have expected a bit too much from this novel, but I will definitely read the next one to see where it leads.

PS: Note that there are some topics in this novel that are not always Young Adult!

For those who have read it (SPOILERS):

Also I think Erik is only attracted to Zoey for one reason, her filled in tattoo which clearly means she is special. Also he has stalker qualities to him... 

I also want to clarify something, someone that is a "slut" is not someone who looks sexy or kisses your boyfriend, or even likes your boyfriend for that matter. Calling everyone a slutty also doesn't make it true.





http://www.pccast.net/
http://www.houseofnightseries.com/
http://pccast.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/officialhouseofnight





“Don't you think baby corns are scary? There's just something wrong about their midget bodies.”










Betrayed (House of Night, #2) Betrayed (House of Night, #2) by
 
 

3 comments:

Ninja Girl said...

Hey there,
I agree, some of the themes/happenings pushed the boundaries of YA. I like to see a little innocence with young MCs. This first book was definitely too wordy for me, but the others get better as you go along. I can't pinpoint exactly what it is that kept me reading, but I've read all the books in the series so it must be something lol! I hope you like the next book and have a great Thanksgiving.
Ninja Girl

Sarah said...

I think this series seems to be hit-or-miss with a lot of people I personally really like it, hopefully you like the rest of them.

Sugar and Snark said...

I also hope the rest are a improvement and I hope they get better and better!

Post a Comment