Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Review: The Forest of Hands and Teeth

The Forest of Hands and Teeth (The Forest of Hands and Teeth #1) by Carrie Ryan 
 
Published July 1st 2009 by Gollancz (first published March 10th 2009)
Hardcover, 320 pages
Source: From the Library



"In Mary's world there are simple truths. The Sisterhood always knows best. The Guardians will protect and serve. The Unconsecrated will never relent. And you must always mind the fence that surrounds the village; the fence that protects the village from the Forest of Hands and Teeth. But, slowly, Mary’s truths are failing her. She’s learning things she never wanted to know about the Sisterhood and its secrets, and the Guardians and their power, and about the Unconsecrated and their relentlessness. When the fence is breached and her world is thrown into chaos, she must choose between her village and her future—between the one she loves and the one who loves her. And she must face the truth about the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Could there be life outside a world surrounded in so much death?"

- From Goodreads

 



6/10





I have wanted to read this novel for quite a while, and I am glad that I finally did! I enjoy most zombie novels, and this was no exception.

The village Mary lives in is so intriguing and full of mysteries that you can't help being dragged into the story. What I liked most were the nuns that "run" the village. It draws an interesting line between religion and blind faith and I think this and remaining mystery about how the rest of the world looks after the zombie "disease" is what will make me read the second one.

The characters were a bit bland, but the story was interesting enough. There was also a lot left unanswered and I hope we get to find out the answers!

So if you like YA novels with some zombies thrown in, then this is your book!

For those who have read it (SPOILERS):

I can't believe what happened to Travis and Jed!!! What now?





http://www.carrieryan.com/
http://twitter.com/#!/carrieryan
http://carrie-me.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/AuthorCarrieRyan





“Suddenly, all I can think about are all the things I don't know about him. All the things I never had time to learn. I don't know if his feet are ticklish or how long his toes are. I don't know what nightmares he had as a child. I don't know which stars are his favorites, what shapes he sees in the clouds. I don't know what he is truly afraid of or what memories he holds closest.
And I don't have enough time now, never enough time. I want to be in the moment with him, feel his body against mine and think of nothing else, but my mind explodes with grief for all that I am missing. All that I will miss. All that I have wasted.”









0 comments:

Post a Comment