Saturday, June 18, 2011

Review: A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire #1) by George R.R. Martin

Published March 22nd 2011 by Random House Publishing Group (first published 1996)
Mass Market Paperback, 807 pages
Source: My boyfriends copy


"Long ago, in a time forgotten, a preternatural event threw the seasons out of balance. The cold is returning, and in the frozen wastes to the north of Winterfell, sinister forces are massing beyond the kingdom's protective wall. To the south, the King's powers are failing, and his enemies are emerging from the shadows of the throne. At the center of the conflict lie the Starks of Winterfell, a family as harsh and unyielding as the frozen land they were born to. 

Now Lord Eddard Stark is reluctantly summoned to serve as the King's new Hand, an appointment that threatens to sunder not only his family but also the kingdom itself. A heroic fantasy of lords and ladies, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and evildoers who come together in a time of grim omens. The first volume in George Martin's series."

- From Goodreads

 



10/10





I knew this was going to be good because everyone I know who have read it raved about it. But never did I expect it to be a masterpiece. I have only given one other book a 10 out of 10 (Pillars of the Earth) but this epic novel joins its ranks, if not trumps it.

The characters are so rich, so detailed and twists and turns make you gasp at every turn!

I can't even begin to go into the story; there are so many points to discuss. And I think this is a novel that can keep any book lover up till late in the night.

What I loved about this book is how nobody is sacred, your favourite character can get killed at a moment's notice, your most hated character can become an ally and finally children can and have to become adults.

I feel that after this, the bar has been raised. A novel has to really do a lot to get into my 10/10 list.

I could go on and on about how fantastic, amazing, brilliant and even thirst quenching this book was, but you will only know if you read it yourself.

Stay in touch for an in-depth joint review in the next few weeks.

Now for those who have read it:

I absolutely loved Dany, she is by far my favourite character. I also enjoyed Catelyn Stark as I think she really has a lot of courage!

I must say I was upset about Khal Drogo and Ned. But hey not everyone could have made it out alive.

And the ending! The dragons... now that my friends was a wow!

What's lurking behind the wall? Find out for us Jon!





http://www.georgerrmartin.com/





"If I look back I am lost."
 
"Winter is coming."










1 comments:

BookGeek said...

A few coworkers have read this already and are saying the same things. I must get a hold of this book and read it.

Post a Comment