Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Review: Delirium

Delirium (Delirium #1) by Lauren Oliver


Published February 1st 2011 by HarperTeen
Hardcover, 441 pages
Source: Bought at Bookdepository for $16.19



"Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the governments demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.
"

 



8/10





Another brilliant novel by Lauren Oliver! Her written is flowing, magical and so effortless. I loved the little bits on the Chapter pages, and found myself looking forward to the next rhyme or extract from the book of Shhh.

I loved the concept of taking love out of a society and seeing what is left. The world that was created, was interesting, dark, safe and creepy.

I loved the characters, they all had such strong personalities and depth. Lena was once again the "I'm not really pretty" girl, but I looked past that.

The book might have dragged a bit for my taste, but hey I still enjoyed it!

If you haven't read Before I Fall yet, and you enjoyed this book, I suggest you do so, it is truly a great novel.

I will most definitely read the next two books in the series, and I'm sure Ms Oliver will wow me once again.





http://www.laurenoliverbooks.com/
http://laurenoliverbooks.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/laurenoliverbooks
http://www.myspace.com/laurenoliverbooks
http://twitter.com/#!/OliverBooks





"Love: a single word, a wispy thing, a word no bigger or longer than an edge. That's what it is: an edge; a razor. It draws up through the center of your life, cutting everything in two. Before and after. The rest of the wrold falls away on either side." 

"I'd rather die my way than live yours."  









3 comments:

Blueicegal ♥ said...

Such a fantastic read. Worthy rating. :)

Kat said...

My review for this is actually going up today! I also enjoyed it, though I'm a bit tired of the 'I'm just an average chic, nothing special' protagonist type, too. I liked the excerpts from the book of Shhh as well. Great review. :)

Anonymous said...

wow...that sounds intense. Love the quotes. Seems like an awesome book. thx for the review.

xoxo

Post a Comment