Monday, March 21, 2011

Review: Jurassic Park

Jurassic Park (Jurassic Park #1) by Michael Crichton

Published 1990 by Ballantine
Paperback, 399 pages
ISBN: 030734813X
Source: Bought at Bookdepository for $7.89


"An astonishing technique for recovering and cloning dinosaur DNA has been discovered. Now, one of mankind's most thrilling fantasies has come true. Creatures extinct for eons now roam Jurassic Park with their awesome presence and profound mystery, and all the world can visit them- for a price. Until something goes wrong...."

 



9/10





What a brilliant novel!! I knew I was going to enjoy it, but wow it really was a masterpiece!

Science and a thrilling tale comes together in just the right way, and makes it a surprisingly quick read that you can't seem to put down.

The characters are so well formed, the dinosaurs so well described and the world that is Jurassic Park so vivid that you wish you were there, even if you have to deal with Velociraptors!

Crichton is a spectacular writer who leaves you intrigued, thrilled and wanting more!

I will pick up the next instalment as soon as I can. I can also see this becoming a regular re-read.

I'm off to watch the movie again :)





http://www.michaelcrichton.com/





"And that's how things are. A day is like a whole life. You start out doing one thing, but end up doing something else, plan to run an errand, but never get there. . . . And at the end of your life, your whole existence has the same haphazard quality, too. Your whole life has the same shape as a single day."
Michael Crichton (Jurassic Park)







Photobucket

3 comments:

Sally Bibrary said...

I've been a dinosaur geek since I was a child, so I remember reading this (and, later, watching the movie) with eyes wide open and a great big smile on my face. It was such a fun read, and definitely what first turned me on to Crichton. Thanks for refreshing some great memories. :)

DJL said...

This was one amazing book, but I'm still glad I read it after watching the film so I could enjoy both versions. :) I still need to read The Lost World just for continuity and to see what Crichton thought needed to be told regarding Jurassic Park. Great review, Lu. :)

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I'm glad to hear that the science in this novel has stood up over the years, since I have yet to read it but hope to someday. I just finished discussing an old SF/F favourite with someone, who said that the "outdated" science was more than she could bear. Go Crichton for classic appeal!

Post a Comment